banner

The Egyptian Pharmaceutical Industry

The Egyptian Pharmaceutical Industry

Egypt’s consumption of medicines is put at .1 billion and is expected to reach billion by the year 2015. It is believed to be the largest producer and consumer of pharmaceuticals in the Middle East, accounting for 30% of the Middle East and North Africa region, because of its large population (75 million), although it has relatively low per capita income and per capita drug consumption. Local production covers about 93% of the market, with the remaining 7% imported.